A New York State Standard: Can this benefit your child?


I don't know about you but being new to New York City I have to make connections to what I already know and what is expected so that I can do a great job. Can you imagine what a child feels having migrated from another country? 
So this week I thought I would attempt to explain this standard.
CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
In order to solve a mathematical problem, highly proficient students first attempt to explain the meaning of their problems, during analysis, they consider givens, constraints, and relationships. In lieu of just jumping into solutions, they speculate about the form, meaning, and path of the solution. In order to make progress on the original problem, they examine analogous problems, then attempt to solve simpler forms or special cases of it. Progress is monitored and evaluated, and plans are changed as needed. To obtain information needed, older students might, depending on the context, transform algebraic expressions or modify the display on their graphing calculator. With a mathematical background, students can draw charts that show important features and relationships, or verbally describe, or explain equations, tables, and graphs; as well as analyse data to discover patterns. In an effort to conceptualize and solve a problem, younger students may use concrete objects or pictures.When students become proficient in mathematics, they are constantly asking themselves, "Does this make sense?" They can identify the approaches of others to problems as well as how different approaches parallel each other.
It is our duty as educators therefore to be ready to answer these inquiring questions or guide our students to discovering these answers and make our teaching of Mathematical concepts such that, simply put, it makes sense. 
How can you get your students to make sense of a mathematical concept of your choice using real world experiences? 

Comment down below and let me know

SherD

Comments